On Monday, July 27, 2020, a funeral procession for United States Representative John Lewis will occur in the District of Columbia before arriving at the United States Capitol to lie in state.
In conjunction with this event, there will be increased police activity in support of the procession and temporary road closures in the following locations between approximately 11:30 am and 1:00 pm:
- Suitland Parkway
- I-695 and I-395
- Maine Avenue, SW
- Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW
- Independence Avenue, SW from 14th Street to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- 23rd Street from Lincoln Memorial to Constitution Avenue, NW
- Constitution Avenue from 23rd Street to 3rd Street, NE
- 17th Street from Constitution Avenue to K Street, NW
- H Street from 17th to 15th Street, NW
- 15th Street from Constitution Avenue to K Street, NW
- 12th Street Tunnel
- Pennsylvania Avenue from 15th Street to 3rd Street, NW
- 3rd Street from Constitution Avenue to Independence Avenue, SW
- Independence Avenue from 3rd Street, SW to 2nd Street, SE
- 2nd Street, SE from Independence Avenue to Constitution Avenue, NW
- I Street, NW from 14th to 18th Street, NW
All street closures and listed times are subject to change based upon prevailing or unexpected conditions.
The public should expect parking restrictions along the street and should be guided by the posted emergency no parking signage. All vehicles that are parked in violation of the emergency no parking signs will be ticketed and towed.
Motorists could encounter possible delays if operating in the vicinity of this event and may wish to consider alternative routes. The Metropolitan Police Department and the D.C. Department of Transportation also wishes to remind motorists in the vicinity of this event to proceed with caution as increased pedestrian traffic can be anticipated.